Requesting Permission Expressions
There are many ways of requesting permission in English. However, knowing when to use the right request formula or structure is a bit tricky. This can be determined by asking yourself these questions:
- Does the other person have higher status than you? (e.g. more authority or older)?
- Is the other person a stranger, an acquaintance, a colleague, a friend or a relative? (You don’t need polite formulas with people you know well – it sounds sarcastic.)
- Is your request going to cause the other person trouble or extra work?
- Is the other person in a good mood or a bad mood?
Requesting permission Audio Jukebox
- …Could I use your phone?
- …Might I possibly use your phone?
- …Sorry to trouble you, but do you mind if I use your phone?
- …Would you mind if I used your phone?
- …May I use your phone?
- …Can I use your phone?
- …I wonder if I could use your phone.
To teach and practice spoken English, we offer commonly used English Expressions for daily communication & dialogues We also provide pronunciation materials which help in the teaching and learning of a standard English pronunciation.We provide exercises to study or teach them, like mp3 audio downloads, printable worksheets and self-grading exercises.
We have tried to make Englishpond.com a site which offers something for anyone. Our Extras page has all the many tools you may need. We have online dictionaries, translators and more.
ESL/EFL/ESOL Resources- Map
ESL Search Engine
Find English Materials
We offer several ESL/EFL E-books that are hot on most ESL/EFL/English educators' lists. The materials are easy to download and use. They help teachers in the lesson plans and teaching.
Our ESL store puts power English teaching and learning materials within your grasp. There are downloadable E-books, Powerpoint Lessons, Phonetic courseware and lesson plan materials of all kind. Find out more>>>.
This English for Kids Course E-books has over 300 exercises. They include: Printables worksheets, Flashcards, Powerpoint presentations, Video presentations, mp3 audio and all the tools you need to deliver a fantastic lesson to ESL/EFL Young Learners. Find out more>>>.